Tuesday 23 January 2024 at 19:30 at Ann and Frank’s house

1. Apologies

Dave D, Linda.

2. Present

Anne P, Alan, Godfrey, Dave G, Brian, Ronnie, Humph, Gill, Marge, Frank, Ann C, Jackie.

3. Minutes of Last Meeting

These were approved and signed.

Anne has taken over the WhatsApp group management.

Dave G to ensure new members are added to the group email list.

4. Matters Arising

Jackie reported that actual addresses are still being received by her and this contravenes GDPR decisions that we have made. Ronnie explained that this could not be changed on the website as these addresses are needed for card transactions, but that they are only used by internal administration.

Dave G queried where it is stated regarding content for data protection. Frank reassured him that it is in the annual membership letter that is circulated.

5. Membership and BMC Update

Gill reported that 60 members had re-joined.

One member will pay at the next meeting due to technical issues on the website. Otherwise, the shop worked well with the majority using it to renew their memberships.

Two members have not yet re-joined. Gill will contact them.

Previous members can attend meetings as guests of members.

There are four honorary members over 80, who do not pay membership fees.

Since the club rule regarding over-80 membership was made in 2017, BMC rules have changed. We therefore need to review this matter. Following a discussion the outcome was that active members, who are over 80, should pay their full CMC and BMC membership fees. The committee will look at this matter and bring a proposal to the AGM.

6. Update on Hut Meets

Godfrey has had a letter from Little Langdale Hut to advise bed numbers reduced from 16 to 14. This was acceptable. Keswick price to increase to £30 pn. £900 minimum booking charge. Jackie enquired how hut details get onto the webshop. This is done by Ronnie. Godfrey and Frank provide the information for Ronnie.

7. Programme Update

Humph has no volunteer for the Feb Meeting. Therefore this will be cancelled. Humph to advise Cricket Club. Volunteers are still needed for walks on Thurs April 4 and the evenings of May 9 and June 20. Alan volunteered to coordinate the walk on April 18th. Humph will update the programme for the second half of our year and send it to members.

8. Website Purpose

and content. Dave G has now taken over the management of the website apart from updating the shop and the payment engine which Ronnie is still managing.

Discussion took place and suggestions were made. The Facebook page could link to it. This should be made public to encourage this link.

Ronnie explained there was plenty of capacity and scope for development. Dave suggested it needs to be more interesting and stimulating and promote the club’s activities in a more appealing way. New member enquiries on the website are directed to Gill.

Dave G suggested setting up a WhatsApp group for the committee.

9. Constitution Review

Much of this is out of date. Members were given a copy to read and review and a further meeting TBA to discuss suggestions.

10. Any Other Business

Ann C tendered a verbal resignation as minutes secretary. Jackie offered to take over this role from the AGM so Ann agreed to carry on until then.4

Wednesday 11 October 2023 at 19:30 at The Lower Buck, Waddington

1. Apologies

Humph, Peter

2. Present

Sue, Ann, Frank, Godfrey, Gill, Marge, Dave, Ian, Anne, Chris, Linda

3. Minutes of Last Meeting

These were approved and signed.

4. Matters Arising

Hut bookings are still being made by some members via BACS transfer/ email. As this is less reliable for the club, they are to be reminded to use the Website shop.

5. Climbing Update

Linda Barrowclough was present at the meeting. The recently added clause to the membership form  was working well. All new climbers have to first attend 2 indoor meets to assess their level of skill. This is a safety issue. An independent climbing instruction course has to be undertaken, if their skill level is inadequate, before being able to climb with the club. Average attendance at climbing meets is 6-8.

6. Data Sharing

In order to comply with GDPR, on renewing their membership, members consent will be implied, to their agreement to the  sharing of their email and mobile nos but not their address. Addresses will only be held by the Secretary Anne Pickup for the purpose of registering for BMC membership.

7. AGM Planning

The AGM will take place on Nov 17th. Sue is resigning from the chairman’s post. No one present was willing to take on this role. Three members were suggested as possibilities and Sue/Chris will contact them. Peter is stepping down as vice chair but Gill is willing to replace him. All remaining committee members are willing to be re-elected. Linda Barrowclough is willing to stand as joint climbing coordinator with Dave Dewhurst.

Frank is not recommending a rise in fees, even though BMC fees have risen to £23.90. Our fees to remain at £26. A rise in the fee will happen next year.

8. New Email Arrangements

Mail chimp will no longer be used as our communication system. Sue has set up a simpler email system on Google. It was decided that three members should be appointed to send club emails. Chairman, Secretary and Meeting organiser. Other members would forward emails to one of them for circulation.

9. Hut Bookings 2024

Godfrey has booked Glan Dena-March 22/23, High Moss- June 14/15, Little Langdale-Sept 20/21 and Keswick-Dec 6/7.

10. Keswick

Booked for Fri 1, Sat 2 and Sun 3 Dec. Ann will order Lasagne, Garlic Bread and Salad for Fri night at £6 ph. There are 24 people booked on so far but need 29 to break even on costs. Chris and Marge to do room allocations. Godfrey to advise Convention Centre re nos for Sun night by end of this month.

11. May 2024 Meet

This will be to Wooler in Northumberland, a change after many years from Scotland. Sylvia Vida has stayed in the hostel there and supplied details of this accommodation and a campsite nearby. Ann will research these further and send details to Sue for distribution. Members to choose and book their own accommodation. The meet will be from Fri May 17- Mon May 21. An alternative Bunkhouse, Walkers Walls was discounted as it was out of town.

12. AOB

Frank asked if he should refund Coniston meet money to two members who had recently  been bereaved. Committee was unanimous in pointing out that our policy was not  to refund monies.

Thursday 27 April 2023 at 19:30 at Ann and Frank’s house

1. Apologies

Chris, Ian, Godfrey.

2. Present

Sue, Frank, Humph, Ann C, Anne P, Peter, Dave, Marge, Brian

3. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes of the last meeting were approved. Humph added on to attendees.

4. Matters Arising

There are still some problems with our website. More maintenance and input is required in keeping it updated. The words “read more” to be deleted. The content to be simplified as most information for events and walks is now communicated via WhatsApp and email.

5. Climbing report

There are some issues concerning a new member’s competency. He has refused to attend indoor climbing meets, where he could be assessed and helped. He has appeared to resent advice. At the moment he is not attending. If he should return, Peter will speak to him and a formal letter will be sent to explain that he needs to meet certain criteria for safety reasons, in order to be able to climb with CMC and that he would need to attend indoor meets for assessment. (Point 4 of our constitution). Climbing criteria to be added to our membership application form, to ensure in future that new members have this awareness. Sue will formulate wording and liaise with Peter, David and Linda.

6. Keswick 2023

The Convention Centre will not yet commit to a firm booking on the Thurs and Sun nights, but it is likely this will happen nearer the time. Discussion took place re room allocation. Double rooms to be allocated on first come first served basis. Invitations to guests will be made again after club members have had priority for a week. Request for double room to be identified on the web shop.

7. Whatsapp Groups for Hut Meets

It was decided that a group for each meet was a good idea. The coordinator to set up and close down.

8. Hut Bookings

Decision to book ALL hut beds via the web shop and not by BACS transfer. Recently been some confusion over bed availability using two systems.

9. Membership Fees

Need to discuss at AGM. moving ALL payments for these to the web shop to standardise things. Approx 40% of members still pay via BACS.

10. Closure of Roefield Climbing Wall

Not used by our climbers.

11. Refund Policy

Committee reaffirmed that we have a No Refund Policy on Hut Meets. Extenuating circumstances can be referred to 3 members of the committee for consideration.

12. Events Diary

Peter had updated copy. Still a few dates to fill.

13. Membership List

Anne to liaise with Humph to update the list. Then to be emailed out.

14. Club Laptop

Discussion as to whether this was still needed. Ian has been keeping it charged up and is willing to buy it, if it superfluous. Decision to sell it to Ian and ask him for an offer. Frank will contact him.

 

Thursday 6 October 2022 at 19:30 at Ann and Frank’s house

1. Apologies

Anne Pickup,Brian Davies, Ian Grace.

2. Present

Sue Hembury, Ann Connell, Frank Taylor, Godfrey Metcalfe, Marge Brass, Chris Smitton, Peter Sharpe(on zoom)

3. Minutes

The minutes of last meeting were approved and signed.

4. Chairman Report

“Jackie’s project has provided a useful focus and we have visited some remote, less well known hills and bleak areas of Yorkshire. Some stunning days, Ingleborough for example and some perhaps better forgotten. The bunkbarn experience in the Howgills was a great success in August when we managed to tick off 5 more targets. Jackie is now well into the second half of the challenge.Walks continue to be well supported on the whole despite member’s continued enthusiasm for holidays, camper vans etc. Hut events have been up and down with some poorly attended and one cancelled. The Scottish long weekend was a success with various accommodation styles undertaken by participants. A few Munros were bagged during our time in Aviemore. Summer evening walks have been well attended and have been well worth doing, culminating in a very enjoyable treasure hunt in September.”

5. Indoor Meets

October meeting to Bowland Mountain Rescue is postponed, as Nick Philips is away. We are meeting later that month to celebrate Terry Overy’s life. A buffet is arranged at Whalley Golf Club on Oct 29th.

6. Photo Competition

December meeting will not be a photo competition due to technical difficulties. Humph to discuss with Ronnie for advice. There will be a quiz instead. He will check cricket club is booked for Nov/Dec.

7. Treasurer

Frank circulated draft accounts for our perusal. The £1000 which has been in our account for safekeeping, is to be returned to Humph to settle the Oct 29th celebration for Terry.

8. AGM

The AGM is on 17/11/22. BMC fee this year is £22.25. Frank suggested and all agreed that this year our annual fee should be £26. All Club officials agreed to stand again next year. Sue asked for more support from the committee. Reports from committee will be Chair, Treasurer, Hut Secretary, Membership Secretary

9. Keswick

The Keswick weekend will be 4 nights again. Dec 1-5. 46 beds available. Cost will be £24 per night. Members only to book for first week, then open to guests. Chris/ Marge to do bed allocations. Sue to check with Dave and Jane re catering. Ann to arrange food from Blueberries for Fri. for interested members.  Committee chose Fish or Shepherds Pie and peas plus veggie option. Small group needed to arrange Sat night entertainment. Sue to ask Jane and Bern if they could help.

10. Programme for 2023

Cricket Club will be needed Jan, Feb, Mar, Oct, Nov, Dec. Humph planning outdoor walks/activities for summer months. Godfrey will arrange hut meets at Coniston (Oct), Duddon (end June), Beddgelert (March) and maybe FRCC at Buttermere . Peter to arrange Sun/Thursday walk coordinators. Dave to organise  Climbing programme. Chris offered to arrange a calendar. Annual Scottish trip discussed. Change date to mid May to avoid Bank Holidays. Kinlochleven to be investigated as a location. FRCC hut there. Ann will research other accommodations.

11. Hut Activity

Bedgellert, Duddon Valley, Aviemore had been well supported. Coniston had to be cancelled. £100 deposit still held by MAM and we will use this next year.

12. Mailchimp

Mailchimp is not really suiting our needs Other options discussed. Humph will discuss with Ronnie.

13. AOB

Anne Pickup has two prospective members who will be contacted at start of our new year. Dave asked to be informed of any new climbing enquiries.

Ian feels website needs updating. Committee happy with it. Facebook not well used but does generate some enquiries re membership.

Peter is hoping to arrange a trip to the Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt next year. He gave a description of this. Most of the committee felt it would be too challenging for them, but would value a walking holiday in the Dolomites. Humph informed the committee of his booking of The FRCC hut at Wasdale for New Year at £16pn. 

Tuesday 15 March 2022 on Zoom

1. Present

Sue Hembury, Godfrey Metcalfe, David Dewhurst, Anne Pickup, Humph Johnson, Frank Taylor, Ann Connell

2. Apologies

Brian Davies, Marge Brass, Chris Smitton, Ian Grace.

3. Events Programme

Humph will print some copies of the second half of this years club events.

4. Use of Huts

Discussion on the use of huts:

    • Only 9 people now attending the upcoming Beddgelert Hut meet. Two other members have withdrawn but no refund requested. Not all the places are booked. Cost for the hut is £420 and we have received £396 which leads to a £24 loss which Frank feels is sustainable on this occasion.
    • The number of members wanting to stay in hut accommodation is now much reduced, as the membership ages. Many members are wanting more comfort. At the Aviemore Meet in May members are staying in an assortment of accommodation. This is probably what we need to consider for all meets.
    • Humph feels that Covid is still responsible for some of the reduction in hut bookings and that we should give the situation more time.
    • To ensure that the club does not lose money again we should consider only booking huts that do not have fixed charges. Frank suggested also increasing the nightly fee to £18. All agreed.
    • High Moss Duddon hut- 12 beds are booked at a charge of £175 per night. With £18 per person per night only 10 people will be needed to balance this. Coniston hut charges £14 pppn. We have booked12 places which would require £336. 10 members at £18 pn would generate £360. We can add on any extra people.
    • Keswick fees are  anticipated to be more this year
4. Treasurer’s Report

Frank reminded us that membership fees were reduced last year due to Covid restrictions but that these would revert to £26 this year. Cricket Club costs have gone up so we now need to put £2 into the pot at meetings. Remind members to bring cash.

5. BMC Fees

Anne reported that BMC fees were increasing so we might have to consider this nearer the time.

6. Zoom

The Zoom subscription not to be renewed.

7. Climbing

9 members had gone to Preston Wall last night

The consensus view from the meeting is that we carry on as planned but consider changes next year.

Tuesday 10 August 2021 on Zoom

1. Apologies

Anne P, Shaun W

2. Present

Sue H, Godfrey M, Ian G, Peter S, Frank T Ann C, Chris S

3. Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as correct.

4. Walking Programme

Mid week flexible walking via Whats app has been successful and larger groups can now walk together, on a day when the weather is more clement.  Not all members have been able to access this arrangement method due to lack of smart phones.

It was felt that from the AGM in Nov. that some formality should resume with proposed Sunday and Midweek walks being listed on our programme. Now that Covid rules were relaxing it was felt that we could venture further afield to the Lakes and Wales and start climbing mountains again. Named leaders and venues to be sought for Sun and midweek walks. Sue felt Sunday walks should be set but that midweek walks should retain some flexibility and that members could be advised re these via mail chimp.  NB addendum at end of these minutes.

Humph reminded us that the basic outline of the programme was made prior to our AGM and added to on that night. Programmes will be available online after the AGM  but could be printed for non tech members . Humph has old handbook to use as template.

5. Huts

As we are getting older many members are not wanting the very basic facilities of some of the huts we have used in the past. They are also nervous about communal sleeping arrangements as Covid is still quite prevalent. A questionnaire is to be devised by Peter to assess individual members wishes regarding this and our programme in general. Most huts only operating in a limited way at the moment anyway. Keswick Convention Centre is booked for December.

6..AGM

This will be our first live indoor meeting on November 18. Frank will contact the Cricket Club Steward to book us in for meetings again We do have the summertime problem re the Junior Training night clashing with our Indoor Meet. This may necessitate a change of meeting night. To be discussed at AGM. All the committee willing to stay in their positions next year to ensure stability in difficult times. Next 6 months focus has to be on reestablishing the Club.

Frank offered in conjunction with Sue to devise a letter to be sent out to everyone with the Questionnaire, prior to the AGM to welcome them back and update them of our plans. Draft to be circulated to committee members for comments. Food to be ordered for AGM to tempt people back!

7. Keswick Meet

We are booked at The Convention Centre from Fri to Sun 3/5 December.

Discussion re possibility of extending this either side of these dates. It was felt it should be one or the other to ensure reasonable no of members were there. i.e. Wed1/Sun5.  Cost for the basic weekend night is £600 divided amongst the attendees.

Godfrey to speak to the Centre to check booking, price and possibility of extra night and charge for these. Also will check their Covid policy.

Frank asked if anyone is up there beforehand if they could check things out as we understand some changes have been made.

It was thought it could be useful to open it up to our friends to ensure adequate nos.

8. Membership

Membership at present is about 50. Some members did not rejoin last Jan possibly due to all the Covid Limitations. Frank will contact Anne P. for a  list of these people. It was suggested that a personal contact to these people would be worthwhile to try and recruit them back to the club.

We should open our meets to others  and encourage new membership. It is recognised that it is difficult to interest younger people apart from the Climbing Sector

Membership fee is to remain at £26.

9. Climbing

Peter reported that climbing was off to a slow start and there was a need as with the walking to publicise named events and their leaders and dates.

10. Holidays

Sue pointed out that some of our most popular events have been our holidays. Ann is not happy to organise anything yet abroad as Covid situation is still very uncertain.

11. Next meeting

5/10/21. Marje will try and book a room in the Lower Buck.

12. Addendum

Copy of Email sent out by Sue the day after the above meeting

Replies from members were positive re these suggestions.

“Thinking about the issue of scheduled v and hoc midweek walks, what do you think of this?

Schedule a walk once a month but allow flexibility e.g. coordinator to be appointed to plan a walk for week commencing 17 January. They could pick their chosen day in advance or nearer the time. So for those who only want one midweek walk a month, there is at least something planned and it gets more members involved in coordinating. (Proposed questionnaire could check the flexible day rather than set Thursday question).

 Alongside that, run the WhatsApp group (or similar) for walks at other times, outside of the scheduled Sunday and midweek walks. For those who’d like to get out more, this offers the opportunity to respond to good weather spells and free days. (A total of 4 walks were offered in April, 1 in May, 3 in June, 2 in July). Plus the ‘booking’ system avoids the coordinator not knowing if lots or no members will turn out.

Just a reminder to those who like the formality of the set Thursday walk that we approved the suggestion at the 2019 AGM to include flexibility because we were cancelling a lot of walks due to weather.”

Tuesday 8 September 2020 at 19:30 on Zoom

1. Apologies

Ian

2. Present

Sue H, Godfrey, Humph, Anne P, Frank, Ann C, Peter, Marge, Rob and Chris.

3. Minutes

The minutes of last meeting were agreed.

4. Matters Arising

The proposed change of the meeting night during the summer months to avoid the junior training night at The Cricket Club has been irrelevant due to the Pandemic Lockdown.

5. Club Officials Reports

Secretary

Anne reported that BMC had refunded the dual membership fees to the Yorkshire Bank account. She will advise them of our new Barclays  bank account details. BMC are requesting a named contact. Ian is thought to be willing to do this and Sue will check with him. Peter offered to take on this role if Ian was unwilling to.

Climbing Coordinator

Rob reported nil club activity during Pandemic as equipment has to be shared. Climbers are happy to resume soon. However transport can still not be shared. The climbing walls now have precautions in place. There will be a need to limit numbers.

Treasurer

Frank is closing the Yorkshire Bank shortly and transferring any funds to our new account. He reported £37,000 throughput due to booking/cancelling of the two club holidays. Balance is £3,900. Membership fees to remain @£26.

Hut Meets Coordinator

Godfrey will contact Keswick Convention Centre to request holding over our deposit until next year. Sue will advise Jane and David re cancellation of this years Christmas Meet. Huts can only accommodate two households at present and this is restricted to their own members.

Indoor Meets Coordinator

Humph had nothing to report but requested permission to donate our old laptop to a charity to be then used by school children who are without online opportunities. Committee agreed. He will liaise with Ian to ensure it is properly cleared.

6. AGM/Plans for 2021 during Coronavirus crisis

All the committee are willing to continue in their roles part from Rob. It is not feasible to have an AGM this year despite our constitutional rules requiring one.    Peter Sharpe and Andy Latimer are willing to take over Robs role. Frank will complete the accounts for this year and they will be carried over to the next AGM. Although he had indicated previously that he wished to step down from Treasurer Role , in these unprecedented times he will stay in post. Sue will email these minutes to members so that they are informed.

7. New Payment Section on Website

Committee decided to adopt proposal. Ronnie can set up the website to enable payments for membership and hut meets to be made through it. The financial side would be via a secure company such as World Pay. A small group comprising Frank, Ronnie, Ian, Anne and Chris to meet up soon, to facilitate this website and ensure it meets our needs. Aim is to try and get it set up to receive next year’s membership fees from November. Frank will set up a Zoom meeting for the working party in September and another in October if needed. 

8. Social Media

Sue had recently had to remove some inappropriate entries on our WhatsApp page. Facebook had also been used inappropriately. A discussion took place as to whether we needed to amend our constitution to include social media. It was felt that the present statement re conduct already covered this. The committee fully endorsed Sue and Chris’ s actions and thanked them. They were asked to take similar action if needed in future.

9. BMC Covid Guidelines

These were discussed. They allow for groups of up to 6 people which is the current no. of our members who walk together. A full risk assessment is required for larger groups and it was not felt necessary to proceed with this.

Tuesday 18 February 2020 at 19:30 at The Lower Buck, Waddington

1. Apologies

Brian Davies, Ian Grace, Shaun Woodward

2. Present

Sue Hembury, Frank Taylor, Ann Connell, Rob and Chris Smitton, Humphrey Johnson,  Peter Sharpe, Anne Pickup and Marjorie Brass

3. Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the previous meeting were signed by Sue.

4. Matters Arising

Covered later in the Agenda.

5. Chairman’s Report

Sue reported that no objections had been raised to the increase in membership and hut fees which had been raised at the AGM which should guarantee healthy accounts.

Hut meet attendance has been erratic largely due to injuries and illness.

Walks have been generally well attended the Flexi date system has not needed to be used since November.

The Christmas meet was a success despite reduced numbers and challenging weather conditions.

The ski trip went well with 17 attending. Next years trip will be to Alta Badia in January with 19 skiers.

Indoor meets are resuming on the 20th of February after a break in January. Some issues have to be resolved regarding the use of the cricket club on Thursday evenings.

Members have responded well in filling in gaps. Sue Stanton provided a quiz in December and there have been two offers of hut coordinators for Duddon in March.

6. Treasurer’s Report

Frank reported that both accounts are still running in parallel. Chris and Anne need Barclays paying in books. The balance of the account in Barclays stands at £1812 and in Yorkshire bank at £3,331 but there will be payment of £1,417 out of this account shortly to the BMC. 53 members have paid their membership online and only a few chose to pay into the old account.

7. Secretary’s Report

We currently have 75 members, five of which are nonpaying of the BMC fee. There are two prospective new members Gerard Hawkins and Jeanette Thomas.

BMC fees have risen by £6 to £20.25. Membership Cards from the BMC will not be sent out this year until the May magazine edition.

8. Hut Coordinator

The Christmas meet this year will return to the Keswick Convention Centre which now has 52 beds available. There are 46 beds available without resorting to using top bunks. We will be required to provide a single bed size sheet, duvet case and pillowcase. No sleeping bags will be allowed. A room plan has been provided. Costs will be approximately £21
pppn with a minimum charge of £600. It was agreed by the committee that a charge of £50 per person would be made for the weekend. The car park at the rear may be changed into a public carpark by Dec.

9. Climbing Coordinator

Rob reported approximately 10 regular climbers. Numbers varied at individual meets to between 2 and 8. He foresees there may be problems with indoor climbing walls that are not too far from Clitheroe. The Roefield wall is now not available on Wednesdays or Thursdays due to classes. Preston wall has become quite neglected. The Ingleton wall has just changed ownership and time will tell if it improves and survives.

10. Website Changes

Ronnie doctor has made suggestions regarding email addresses that could be used attached to our website. This follows problems earlier in the year with personal data being available to nonmembers. He is going to advise Anne Pickup on how this would work. Sue will contact Ronnie to arrange this. There is also a possibility of having a separate page which would only be accessible by members by using a password. Committee members personal data would be available on this page. This was thought to be a good idea. Anne Pickup requested that her personal contact details were removed from the existing printed programme and replaced with the new generic email address. i.e info@…

11. Indoor Meets

As the Junior Section of the Cricket club regularly meet on a Thursday evening, causing the clubhouse to be very busy, it was decided that we needed to make some changes. Following discussion it was decided that Sue will email members to suggest a change in our meeting night from Thursday to Wednesday from September. Humph will contact Michael at the cricket club to check that all Wednesday nights are available. In the meantime our summer meets will be outside events.

12. Any Other Business

Ann informed the committee that she would hold a pre-meeting, at the cricket club before the March meeting, for all those people that are going on the Mayrhofen trip. Balances will be due by then and also things like luggage allowances etc could be discussed.

BMC are inviting clubs to submit their information to go onto the BMC Facebook page. Committee members did not feel that we should pursue this. 

Tuesday 10 September 2019 at 19:30 at The Lower Buck, Waddington

1. Apologies

Chris & Rob Smitton, Ian Grace, Shaun Woodward.     

2. Present

Sue Hembury, Humph Johnson, Godfrey Metcalfe, Ann Connell, Frank Taylor, Marjorie Brass, Peter Sharpe, Brian Davies, Anne Pickup.                   

3. Minutes

The minutes of the previous committee meeting were signed by Sue.

4. Chairman’s Report

Sue felt that generally the club was in good shape. Members had enjoyed many walks and the Spanish holiday. Indoor meets have not generally been well attended and recently the Ceilidh had to be cancelled due to lack of support. The climbing section has continued to be well supported. Sue has been checking various sections of the website and some adjustments need to be made. She felt that the role of the BMC rep was not necessary now. Press and publicity are not really happening due to the changes at the Clitheroe advertiser so she questioned whether this role was still needed. However both Shaun and Godfrey would be retained on the committee. Sue asked all the committee in turn if they were willing to continue serving on next year’s committee and everybody agreed. Ideally Humph would like to pass the indoor meets role to someone new but is flexible depending on the club’s needs. A discussion took place regarding indoor meets. It was felt that a variety in the type of meets was appreciated. The summer meets need to be away from the cricket club, due to the hectic environment there with the junior cricketers. The BMC are requesting two contacts from each club. It was suggested that Anne Pickup and Ian Grace (if he is agreeable) should fulfil these roles.

5. Treasurers Report

Frank reported a present balance of approximately £3100. This year there had been some quite large losses on the hut meets including Portinscale.   Pitlochry however Had made a profit. Frank is expecting the end of year balance to be about £700-£800 less than last year. He recommends an increase in the hut fees to prevent future losses. BMC fees are due to rise by £6 per person because of insurance issues, so he is recommending an increase in membership fees to £26 to allow for this. This increase to be agreed at the AGM. The new club bank account has now been opened with Barclays and there are three signatories, Frank, Anne P, and Godfrey. The account will be operational for members from November 1. Frank is proposing keeping the Yorkshire bank account open for 12 months and he will send a letter out in October with all the information. The new account will permit BACS transfers and online banking.

6. Huts

Godfrey gave info about Portinscale costs. As we had made a substantial loss last year it was decided to raise the charge from £45 to £50. It had been under subscribed, so it was recommended that this year, after members had been given priority, the Meet should be opened up to friends. A proposal was made to raise hut fees to £15 pn. Godfrey was asked to avoid block payment bookings. A discussion then took place about charges at Fell and Rock Huts. A proposal for the AGM was “that F and R members and their spouses should pay their usual fees to FRCC but must advise the Hut Booking Secretary of their intention to attend.  CMC only members would pay £15 pn ( if agreed at AGM) to The CMC account. It was decided to reduce the number of hut meets to 4 plus Portinscale next year. Sue has formulated a sheet on Hut Booking Arrangements for members, following some confusion earlier this year (attached). To be discussed at AGM then added to website if agreed.

7. Climbing

Rob submitted a report in his absence. It had been a good summer for both trad and sport climbing. Two new young climbers and an experienced climber have joined them. They had encountered sports climbers at Giggleswick opening up twelve new routes.

8. Membership Report

Anne Pickup has been looking at the permanent and provisional membership forms. A discussion took place regarding the need for emergency contact details and it was agreed that these were superfluous and in breach of GDPR, so it was decided to remove these from the form. Anne is looking to see if the two forms can be combined. A request for members to carry contact details when out on club events, will be added. Payment instructions on the form to be adjusted to include BACS details and an email address for the Treasurer, so that members are clear about how to make payments.

9. Website Issues

Sue has realised that the Contacts page is not accurate and will ask Ian to update it. She also stressed the need for the calendar to be kept up to date. Marge and Ronnie can log on and make changes in addition to Ian. Access information for new members re Our Facebook Page to be included in the Treasurer’s Autumn letter when it goes out.

10. Programme for 2020: Outdoor Meets

The programme to be circulated before the AGM to request offers for coordinators for walks and weekends.

11. Programme for 2020: Indoor Meets

Humph outlined his ideas for these and asked for offers to suggest and host some social events or talks.

12. Any Other Business

Ann reminded members re the meeting at 7 pm on Oct 17th ahead of the club meeting, to sort out airport issues for the Mayrhofen trip.

Tuesday 19 February 2019 at 19.30 at The Lower Buck, Waddington

1. Apologies

Peter, Brian Marge  Shaun

2. Present

Humphrey, Anne P.  Ann C, Frank T. Godfrey, Ian, Chris, Rob, Sue. 

3. Minutes / Matters Arising

The minutes were agreed and signed.

Some members had complained that the address list was not in the handbook. They had been advised that these were available online now.

4. Chairman

Sue reported that all the club activities were running well. The Christmas meet had gone really well and the new venue deemed a success. A few members did not like being away from Keswick. The venue has been rebooked for next year.

The Burns night was deemed a great success and may be repeated in three years time. The Ski trip had been fantastic. Anne asked if it could possibly be planned to include walking. The cycling group has restarted after the winter.

5. Treasurer

Frank reported a healthy balance. He explained the account regarding the Burns night. The debit balance of £55 will be absorbed by the club. A card has been received to thank us for the £300 donation to Pathfinders.

Many members are now using the online payment system to pay membership and hut fees.

Frank awaiting current bank developments to settle before considering any changes to our bank account.

A discussion again took place regarding the handling of trip money’s by Ann and Sue who both prefer not to have it going through their personal accounts. Sue will arrange for members to pay their own monies direct with the tour company next year.

Frank suggested that members should be invited to be generous with their pot donations on Thursday. The club will add to this to give a realistic donation to Bowland Mountain Rescue on whom we all depend. He suggested £200 and this was agreed. Proposed Humph and seconded by Ian.

6. Secretary

There are 79 paid up members. Members again to be asked to check their details on the address list.

Anne drew our attention to several errors on the prospective members form.  Ian volunteered to amend and update this.

Both this form and the general membership form to be available online..

7. Hut Meets

The cleanliness at the recent George Starkie Hut was again not up to standard. ? replace this hut next year with the Fell and Rock hut at Beetham.

Humph advised that there are possibilities to have two F and R bookings each year.

The price of Mam huts is being increased to £14 p.n. Frank advised that at the moment we could absorb any losses but that a rise in Hut fees should be brought to the AGM.

Godfrey has booked most huts for next year inc. Beddgelert, High Moss, Glan Dena, Star Cottage and Low House

8. Indoor Meets

Ian is hosting for Humph this Thurs. with Bowland MR.

Derek Russell is now speaking in March on his fundraising walk up Kilimanjaro.

It was suggested that he should receive the pot contents plus £50.

A discussion took place re the possibility of having a club ceilidh night.

Anne P will be the speaker at the April meeting on Costa Rica

It was deemed expensive if we hired a professional band. Ian has experience of running these with Holiday Fellowship and he volunteered to “call” for us and provide music. A sub group of Humph Ian and Sue will plan this further.

9. Climbing Meets

Rob reported two new Climbers in their twenties had joined. All looking forward to resuming outdoor climbing. On average 6-8 members had climbed indoors during the winter

10. Day Meets

Various members offered their names to coordinate walks next year. Amanda has this year set up a What’s app cycling group which has proved popular.

11. AOB

Ian advised that 24 people were signed up for the Pitlochry Trip (25 places available). Several people are staying there independently

Monday 24 September 2018 at 19:30 at The Lower Buck, Waddington

1. Apologies

None

2. Present

Humphrey, Anne P.  Ann C, Frank T. Godfrey, Ian, Chris, Rob, Sue, Shaun, Simon

3. Minutes

A minor correction was made and the minutes were then agreed and signed.

4. Chairman

Chris reported that all the club activities were running well. Hut meets are being well attended. The variety of activities had been really good, including  Bocce and Quiz evenings and Picos and Ski trips.

Val Grooby’s walk had not taken place.

It was felt that a third person be enabled to undertake club communications via mail chimp. Sue offered to do this. Update training tba with Ian.

Chris has already obtained coordinators for next years hut meets.

All the committee agreed to stand for re-election. Sue willing to be Chairman and Peter Sharpe has agreed to be nominated as Vice Chairman.

Calendar events all discussed and adjusted where necessary.

5. Treasurer

Frank gave our balance as £3803.94 at the end of August.  At present there is also a considerable amount of extra money in the account for the Ski and Spanish trips next year which will shortly be paid out. There is not a need to increase the membership fee at the AGM.. A new projector and case have been purchased.

Protection of member’s data discussed. Frank had produced a draft GDPR policy for the club which he circulated . A copy will be put onto the website when finalised. Members will be sent notification re this.  The prospective members form to have an amendment to highlight data protection issues.

A motion was passed to agree the implementation of this policy by Nov 1st. Proposed Humphrey, Seconded Ian.

The security of club data was then discussed and a decision was made to buy two independent hard drives for the secretary on which to store our personal data.

6. Secretary

There are 80 paid up members including Paul Siddall who has rejoined. Barbara Duxbury has sadly died. A note about BMC refunds for Fell and Rock members in our club along will be included with the membership reminder mailing.

7. Hut Meets

Godfrey had sent a card to the MAM booking secretary whose husband had died recently.

We have two new huts on the programme next year. The June hut is more expensive at £31 but will be marketed at the standard £24 weekend charge as the club can afford to absorb the extra charge.

Ian advised that 24 people were signed up for the Pitlochry Trip (25 places available). Several people are staying there independently.

8. Indoor Meets

Humph arranging to ask membership for speaker suggestions. We will possibly change our meeting nights at The Cricket Club in the summer months as Thurs. is the Juniors Training and it was impossible this year to hold a pleasant meeting  because of the noise. Parking was also very difficult. Humph  is again planning a varied programme. 

The usefulness of a printed club booklet was discussed and it was agreed that next year we would only print the calendar pages as all other information is available on the club website.

9. Climbing Meets

Rob reported that the climbers were now on their winter schedule. He had been approached by a mother who wanted to bring her two young children to climb. He had not agreed to this as he felt our club could not safely facilitate this. All the committee reinforced his decision.

10. Day Meets

Various members offered their names to coordinate walks next year. Amanda has this year set up a What’s app cycling group which has proved popular.

11. AOB

CLUB OVERSEAS VISITS

SKIING – Sue queried the payment method for the trip as Nielsen’s will only accept Card payments. She has previously sent a cheque. It was agreed that Frank would enquire from Yorkshire Bank if we could have a debit card on the club account.

Sue had experienced unpleasantness from two members, who both wanted to go on the trip but who do not relate well to each other. The club gave any trip organisers the authority to refuse members onto the trip if this posed a problem to others.

SPAIN – Ann reported 19 people now signed up. Letter to be sent this week to all members going with further information inc. flight details.

It was agreed that all people going on club trips should in future be members of CMC because of liability issues. As 3 non members are already signed onto the next Ski trip, Frank suggested that for this year only they should become prospective members prior to the trip. In future years they would have to have paid membership.